Monday, April 21, 2008

27 Feb: Government, Debate, and Love

Today after class, we figured it was time we visited the neighboring government (public) school. The headmaster, Mr. Alberto, had extended an invitation our way one day when we played soccer together, and he had ripped off his suit like Clark Kent, except instead of a superman costume he had a soccer outfit underneath. Touring the school was like being in another world. I though Magulilwa lacked resources, but that was before I learned the wonders of public education in Tanzania. This school has three teachers including Mr. Alberto and the temporary form IV grad. This is like graduating high school, and then getting a job teaching in that high school. They have 360 students in all, and only have two levels, form I and II. Lacking space and manpower, the students take turns being in class. They also do a lot of sharing of books, since there is about one paperback per twenty students. Teachers keep applying, but they get turned away because there is no money with which to pay them.

After a quick tour, our usual "Hi I'm Dan/Brayn, glad to see you all working hard, were from the US, were teaching here for a month, thanks so much for welcoming us" rap, we snapped a few photos at the headmaster's request and went on our way. This was, after all, debate day, and we didnt want to miss it. The topic was "Anti-Retroviral Drugs (ARVs) cause HIV to spread more quickly." Interesting to hear these students debating in a language that wasnt their own, and doing a good job of it having to argue the point that prolonging a life was a negative thing in this case. This of course was all kind of brought back to earth when a chicken walked through the door and across the stage, with no one but myself and Brayn giving it a second glance. The debate was highlighted by the students asking me to debate Amani, who was on the negative side, thus forcing me to make an impromptu argument for quickening the death of HIV/AIDS patients. I did so by arguing the money would be better used treating malaria and building wells and water filters, which was a well-received argument.

That night Brayn and I took to our office. A female student came in, dressed up nicely and smelling of perfumes. I recognized her as the girl whos stuff Bryan had helped carry off of the daladala one day when it was raining. The following exchange took place.

Her, to Brayn: "How are you?"
Brayn: "You know. Quadratic equations. Studyin' up."
Awkward silence.
Me: "Is there anything we can help you with?"
Pause.
Her: "Teach me."
Brayn: "Of course, what do you need help with?"
Pause.
Her: "English."
Me: "Well, we arent really english teachers. What specifically about English?"
Pause.
Her: "Tenses."
Me: "Umm, to be honest, I dont really know how to teach that. Bryan?"
Brayn: "Uhhmmmmm...Yeah...I dont really...Uhhmmmm..."
Me: "That might be a better question for Mr. Kilinga, the english teacher."
Her: "Ok."

She took one more look at Bryan and left. Apparently she has quite a little crush. Brayn informs me that she has tried this when I was not around. This time, her plan was to get dressed up, smell nice, and walk into the office. I guess that was as far as the planning had really gotten. Bold effort though, I have to say. Im impressed.

No comments: